7.18.2006

July 18 2006

It's Tuesday the 18th! I'm over at the Mozley's! Imagine that...using their free wireless internet! So last week was interesting. Monday started off and I went to try and find some information about getting into some language training. I went to Legon University, 10 minutes from my house, because it seemed like the doors were opening in that direction. I went there and I walked in to the tutor's office, that had just arrived 10 minutes earlier another door I thought was opening, then he wanted WAY too much per hour to learn TWI. Back to the drawing board! But, I believe the one of the reasons the non chance meeting was to occur was I met a single missionary girl named Sherri. She is taking Twi from this guy and in a matter of two minutes I seized the opportunity to ask her number and we ended up being at the same function Thursday night just three days after we met!!!! It's neat how God's providing some relationships here. However, the starting tinges of culture shock are hitting a little. I miss air conditioning, hot water, clean walls and nice toilets. Yes every one of those is material. I'm not ashamed to say it. I also miss my family. I'm so grateful because my sister and nephew are moving back home with my parents, but I'm also sad i won't be able to be there with them. All this to say, I am having the repeating thoughts of "What is my identity in Christ?" I went to church at an international church this past Sunday and the person teaching that morning said those words again!!! I think God's asking me to work on some things. Since I've arrived I've been to two church services. (The second Sunday I was so sick I stayed in bed...by the way I got sick in the North...and I finally got some antibiotics...so now I'm getting better!) Anyway- I knew before I left it was going to be a challenge connecting and giving all of me to God in a style of worship that is different than what I most easily connect. I have learned worshiping on Sundays, isn't about us, it isn't about if we like the music or not or if we get a lot out of a sermon. It's directly related to how much we give of ourselves. It's intended so that we may pour out love for a God who freely and constantly lavishes His love on us, but let me tell you this is a challenge for me right now. I compare everything I hear and see to what I'm comfortable with. I feel like God is saying, Margaret don't get comfortable....and even when you think you're not, you are? I hope that makes sense as a reader on this blog. I don't want to compare. But one thing i'm learning about Ghanian culture is that people lie. All the time. I was talking about language at Legon earlier. One of the reason's I'm not going there is the teacher flat out lied. Here you of course bargain for everything and always have to be thinking of how you will negotiate. Some days it's fun. Other times you want someone to say what they want for the price they want and be done with it! :) Hey that's how it is in America. That's what I'm used to....This is part of the culture shock training I have been taught. So the good thing is is that I realize this is part of living in a different culutre...now i'm asking God..."WHAT DO I DO????" So back to my identity in Christ...I think God's asking me to step outside of the normalcies and really rely on Him. It's definetly a daily activity. There are times in the car I think...ok Lord...I know you're here so let's go. I hate that it seems whereever I am I want to be somewhere else. Does that make sense? I keep looking and thinking about the next thing that will happen. When really I want to be able to just be and enjoy the moment I'm in. Knowing my identity in Christ. Nicole said she was reading Brother Andrew and he says "I feel just as close to God washing dishes as I do when I take Holy Communion." This is great! So today I'm again asking for the Lord to teach me how to love the moments. Today's Psalm is 23. One of the most used and well known verses in the Bible....He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. ...This is what I'm meditating on today. As for the rest of last week...we picked up Tatum from the airport...she's a single missionary here for a year living with the Mozley's....and I'm thankful for that. Also, last week there was a get together as Camron, a teacher who was here for 5/6 months, as his going away party. I got to meet a lot of the missionaries here in Accra and thankfully so as my cold developed into a full blown sinus infection...I had met a nurse who told me what to get at the pharmacy! Yes, you go into the pharmacy and tell them what drugs you need...no prescription neccessary!!! :) This week until the 25th of July I'm helping take care of Adian and Eli. They're the two little guys who live at the house with me...they're too cute. Last night I was up at 3am with Adian. Their parents are in Seoul Korea for a five year meeting of the Methodist Conference....anyway. Everything here is good. Times of emotional ups and downs, just like in America, but God is ALWAYS here and I"m so thankful of having my Best friend here with me. I do miss family and friends...but it's truly a blessing to be here.

No comments: