7.02.2006

branching out- ghana, west africa

Well I have tried to update my blog three times this week. Let's see if this one works? I knew finding time to get online would be tough here, but getting the time right when the net actually works here is the biggest problem. It goes in and out all the time and nothings consistent. However with the World Cup going on our electricity hasn't gone out yet!!! Everyone here wants to see the screen.

I have sent out some e-mails tonight, don't know if those have gone through, so I'm going to let you know what to pray for and what's going on here.

This week has flown by. I've been shopping this week, and for those who know I don't really like to shop a whole lot anymore. It seems the older I get the less and less I like the whole thing. Well in Ghana, no price is ever final and usually to get what you need...you have to go several places. So I spent three days in a row shopping and looking and stopping on the side of the road for a bed, a wardrobe a chair, food, cleaning supplies and other basics to start a house. Seems like getting all this started could be a headache huh? Well it can. But the Lord really has shown me His grace. By this I mean, the people I live with know connections and I have gotten a fair price to get a bed made. Notice I said made. Everything here is custom order. Which means you have to negotiate a price. It's definetly a lot more relationship orientated.

So I have gotten the order in for my house furniture and tried to help stock the refrigerator in the main house, where I'm staying right now until everything in my little apartment is ready. I've spent time traveling the city and trying to learn where to go for what. It's really busy here, so traveling anywhere takes about an hour.

One thing I'm praying about right now is how God is leading me to "feed the poor." There are a ton of beggars and they come to your window when the car's stopped. I know we are to help feed the poor, so I think I might try and buy some food to have on hand in the car to give them instead of money. There are some who beg instead of work...so I don't want to continue the cycle, but also want to do what God's asking.

Also, this week I'm traveling into the North Region of Ghana. There are five of us going. We are going to many places. Hopefully I'll get to update once I get back next Sunday.

This weekend we had our Ghana team meeting retreat. It went great as we are trying to hammer out some Objectives we are trying to accomplish, under God's instruction of course. We also had some great fellowship and worship time together which was AWESOME. This morning we talked about God's Breathe from our inception and how He breathed up close and personal breathe into us to create us. Then we broke off into small groups for prayer. Bbeing in a small group praying whatever came to our hearts was very intimate time with Daddy.

I'm reading the Psalms with my dad and today was Psalm 8. I was standing and looking at the beach when I read it. God's timing is amazing isn't it.

By nephew's birthday is tomorrow...HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROGAN. I love you.

All is well here. Culture shock hasn't set in yet. As we reflected on God's faitfulness today, someone said, "I'm dripping in His faithfulness and it's hard to pick out just a couple of the things He has done." That's how I feel right now. He is caring and watching and nurturing me right now and I am VERY thankful.

2 comments:

Lyle Morgan said...

Hey, if you need me to bring some rope to help you tie down that furniture...ummm, nevermind.

MS Boggs said...

It sounds to me like you need a big ol heapin' helpin' of lima beans, girlie! I'm praying for ya!