10.27.2006

October27-home from the North

We’re back from the North!

Oh I’m in one of those moods where I have tons of thoughts and questions racing through my head. Right now I’m at the Mozley’s playing mom. Claire is at a retreat and Michael is in America so I’m tag teaming with Tatum as we get kids ready for school, cook dinner, make sure homework is done and hang out to watch Gilmore Girls. Did I mention I’m addicted? To Gilmore Girls that is. Yes, today I have watched the last episode of season two before watching the chronological episodes, just so I could find out what happens. Does anyone else do that? I mean I think there’s some kind of code of ethics that I broke. You know how people always say, “You can’t read the ending of a book first. You have to read the whole thing.” Isn’t watching the last episode of a series the exact same?

Then I reflected a little bit. This is what I do in my life cycle. I want to know the ending. There is a part of me that wants to know if I’ll ever get married, have a family, do something that changes the world, make an impact on some young person’s life, figure out “what” I’m great at and have a profession in it…the list is a MILE long. But I bet if I knew the ending it still wouldn’t be good enough, I would still want something else. A “behind the scenes” a “bloopers reel” a “get to know the cast bit” something just a little something more.

But enter in faith. This is where the Spirit comes in and says, “peace my child.” Not about Gilmore Girls, but about life. He doesn’t tell us the end for a reason…I just forget that sometimes. Oh and I can tell when I’m running fast away from the stillness in my heart of being content where I am. I search, I try, and I do whatever to ‘feel’ validated. I do all of this on my on accord without seeking really seeking my Best Friends plan. I don’t want people to get the wrong impression and think I’m off my rocker. Well, for those who already are in on the secret…don’t tell anyone else. But seriously, why is it I want to know the ending or what’s coming next?

You know the past three weeks have been busy for me. We went up North with the team from Georgia and visited some great Ghanaian people who I’ve never got to meet. The trip had its great moments and of course it had its challenging moments. I was doing exactly what I have dreamt of doing for five years. Using a camera, capturing stories and putting those together to tell other people about the events that took place. But then during editing the fatigue sets in and I get frustrated and think….ughh…if only this was finished. I mean this is so annoying. The feeling of not being content and thankful that is. God has given me an opportunity to love on people over here and use skills that he’s equipped me with and I’m still a moron. Moron in the sense that I’m not content. I just reread this whole entry and it sounds like I’ve had 20 red bulls and no sleep. I have to admit I’m writing this totally on my own account. I haven’t prayed about this entry and I really haven’t spent very much God time this week…been “busy.”

But just to fill everyone in on the short-term trip…the team was here for two weeks and we traveled around the country. They worked on two houses, led a bible club meeting, worshiped and taught in some places, but by far the most amazing thing as an outsider to watch was the team dynamic. The team consisted of 10 people from two different churches and a racial mix. Now I’m not the most “pc” person so there were black Americans and white Americans. As a southerner it was great to see God’s love transcending a “mission” team. To see black and white Americans working together loving on each other was great. We talked a lot with the team while they were here during nightly debriefing. They definitely have an Acts 1:8 mentality that there is so much work to be done in our Jerusalem’s as well as End of the Earth.

You know as Christians our hearts are often in the right place but our mouths seem to get us into trouble. Thank God for his grace. It’s hard to extend grace to others especially when you want to be right. But the team really did try to work together and my prayer is that they continue to work together stateside. I finished the team’s video so I’m trying to put it on line so my partners back home can see some of the things that I’m “doing.” But Internet has been in and out this week…so who knows.

I will say after the team left I felt odd. I realized I wasn’t getting on the plane to go back, and having just a taste of American culture sent me into a funk. There are aspects to American culture I can’t stand, but also aspects that I miss. So this past week, while being at the Mozley’s, I’ve been dealing with some homesickness. I also think it’s healthy homesickness. I miss my family and friends and I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. Y’all, since most the people who read this blog are friends and family, are the crucial backbone to this ministry. I’m learning more about intercessory prayer as y’all step in for me during hard times and pray for this ministry and me.

Oh and we had our first leaders meeting for the Bible Club this past Saturday. Gifty is a good question asker. She lead off with the question, “Name something that a child does that makes you mad and how you would respond.” This is so the other leaders can get to know each other better and you will know something has happened when you see that person reacting…very good question. Keep praying for this ministry.

I’m starting language again on Tuesday. As for right now I’m going to keep taking it. It gives Ama a job and me some routine during the week as well as a great friend and I’m continuing to learn Twi!

By the way as usual something needed to be fixed this week…my clutch went out in my car. So if anyone needs to know the sound a car makes when the fuel injector and the clutch go bad…let me know. Actually I performed the noise for my mom yesterday when I talked to her on the phone and she said my sisters’ car was making strange noises …I was in heavy traffic, window down…and gave some Ghanaians a good laugh!!!!

I’ve posted some pictures from the trip to the North on Flickr.

Love to all
margaret

No comments: