11.27.2006

november 27-thanksgiving abroad

It’s the Monday after my first Thanksgiving abroad. Everything was almost like being at home. We cooked all day and had way too much food considering there are tons of starving people…and some not too far from where I live.

It was fun though. We had about 30 people at Claire and Michaels house. In my family tradition we eat the Thanksgiving meal at lunch and then have leftovers for dinner. But we actually met at the Mozley’s at 5pm., which worked out good because it took us all day to prepare what we brought.

I’ve gotten into cooking which in itself is ironic. I cook more and eat better in Africa than I did in the States? I don’t know why I’ve developed a desire for cooking. It could be that going to the grocery store here is such a task at the end you feel accomplished so making something out of what you purchased, which took all day, gives you a sense of joy…. especially when people like it. So for this thanksgiving celebration I made green bean casserole, with fresh not canned green beans and apple crisp desert. Our total family, the Sims, made more than that…if you want to take a look at the fact that I didn’t starve in Africa for Thanksgiving check out the pictures on flickr. This was all on Saturday.

On actual Thanksgiving Day the Sims family, Nicole’s Mom and Dad, which are here visiting, Gifty and I went to Champs Restaurant and enjoyed traditional Thanksgiving nachos!

Even though the food was plentiful Thursday and Saturday and I was with my African missionary family I was probably more thankful this year than in years past. I am always thankful for God, but this year I’m even more thankful for the relationship with Him because I would not make it here without His constant love and companionship. Then thinking about my relationship with God makes me think about Jesus and the fact that we even have a relationship with God. Huge mind boggling God. And then the Spirit starts showing me parts of me and parts of God in me and in others…it’s AWESOME!

Of course I also mentioned some other pretty big things like family … my family here and my mom, dad, sister and nephew back home and all my extended family and Kingdom family and friends…. And then this year I’m really thankful for…. Skype and mail and email J !

You know my dad and I am reading the Psalms together and on Thanksgiving Day was Psalm 121…a song for pilgrims ascending to Jerusalem, NLT. So then I thought about how Big God is and wondered what He looked like to people who were pilgrims back in the day.

Now before the holidays I had a meeting with the Director of Communication/Publication for Methodist Church Ghana on Wednesday. We met for about four hours and they want to start a new program via satellite targeting current Methodist members and unreached peoples. So I asked some questions about usefulness and tried to ask some of the hard questions that we sometimes loose sight of once we’ve been ‘doing’ church for a long time. You know how sometimes we compare other people’s ministries in a bad way we want to “do” what they’re doing? Hopefully you don’t know what I’m talking about.

Anyway it’s in the starting stages and I’m honored they want to include me in some of the decision-making process… and I’m sure the thoughts that I might have connections to supplies necessary for the production equipment is a bonus. I also got to take a look at a production studio Ghana style and it’s not quite like what we would have in the States, but they have digital editing bays. In college I trained on analog and digital so there not that far behind. However I don’t know about you but something that I don’t associate with Africa in general is the fact that they have TV, cable, Satellite and broadband slow but it’s expanding.

But Ghana is a developing Nation and there are some really rich people here with tons of influence. So then I think this could possibly help people see what needs are here within your own country.

So be in prayer that this 30minute program would be guided effectively and started for the right reasons. Also pray that we would continue think outside of the box and not comparatively to what other people are doing.

Also the Community Bible Club will kick off on December 16th at 10am-12pm. We are finalizing main curriculum points to cover for the year. Please keep the whole club in your prayers.

As for this upcoming week…I’m working on some DVD projects and I have to say thanks to my Aunt Leslie. Her fourth grade class wrote me letters to ask about Ghana and how God is moving over here. Thanks- what a blessing.

Love-
Margaret

No comments: