6.26.2006

day two in ghana

It's my second full day in Ghana and I'm at an internet cafe down the road from one of the other missionaries houses. It's about twenty minutes from my house. Sorry no pics yet...So far everything is going great though. I had one thing lost on the airplane, but it can be replaced. Culture shock hasn't hit, yet. I've gotten two good nights rests in an interim bed until I can buy mine. I'm going to a house today to look at a bed and some furntiture for my apartment.(they're moving so hopefully it'll be CHEAP) Sorry to disappoint ... I"m not living in a mud hut! The family I live with Kirk and Nicole, Claire Mozley and her two daughters were at the airport to pick me up. It was nice and comforting to have them as a welcoming crew. Nicole, dressed appropriately, was in one of those funny Dr. Suess looking hats designed as the Ghanian flag...there's a football (soccer) game tomorrow at 1pm. Go Ghana...hopefully someone will teach me the rules to "football!" I'm going to another missionarie's house to watch the game. They host a "youth" group for Ghanians/Americans so it should be pretty fun!

This weeks' plans are to get my apartment kind of settled in to, meet the Bishop of the Methodist Church and go to our team meeting this weekend.

I'll attach some pics of my apartment...as soon as I can get them. The Mission Society has a great realationship with the MCG (Methodist Church Ghana) and it's culturally appropriate to meet the Bishop upon arrival. I'll also probably start applying for my work visa. Our team meeting this weekend is designed to keep our team in touch and build spiritually and emotionally. I'm looking forward to this. I have learned a couple more phrases in Twi. Not that I would know how to spell them, but when someone asks "how are you doing?" I know how to respond! Hey it's the little victories I'm celebrating.

We went to a Ghanian service Sunday morning. Culturally people dance and sing a lot, especially during offering. They sing out of hymnals sometimes, which I'm not sure if they even 'really' like it? and then sing memorized chanting songs which someone told me is the more "contemporary way to attract young people." Honestly I found myself judging the culture during the service. Bet you didn't think I would say that! Just being honest. I found myself wondering after two hours when I was tired and ready for a nap if some of them felt the same way? I am going to have to adjust to the lengthy services. Plus it's hard to stay attentive when you don't know ONE word they're saying. But then again, I knew I would probably think that, it's new and foreign. I'm just trying to appreicate it and know that God is here. And even when I'm thinking "such and such way" is this or that, I've got plenty of things to worship God for.... (i just ended that sentence with a preposition, my pr teacher would die if he saw that!)

No comments: